Santa Clara Parents Nursery School (SCPNS) is a parent participation nursery school where children learn through hands-on experience, and active play. We provide an environment that promotes children’s physical, social, intellectual and creative development. It is our belief that parents and children both benefit from parental involvement in the first school years.
The Santa Clara Parents Nursery School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
Our nursery school was organized in 1956 and first used the facilities of Napredak Hall on Lawrence Road. In April 1957, the school moved to Bethany Lutheran Church in Santa Clara. We moved to our present building in April 1958; however, at that time the building was located at 385 North Monroe Street. The building was moved to its present site at 471 North Monroe Street in the Fall of 1960. In Spring 1973, the Santa Clara Unified School District granted the nursery school an additional 30 feet along the south side of the play yard, and in 1985 we were granted an additional 15 feet. This added space was landscaped to provide an open area for the children’s play.
We have a license agreement with the Santa Clara Unified School District for the use of the property. It stipulates that the nursery school is responsible for the maintenance of the building and its grounds.
Our nursery school was sponsored by the Santa Clara High School District until the 1965-66 school year. At that time we came under the auspices of the newly reorganized San Jose Metropolitan Adult Education Program (MAEP). During the Summer of 1967, the nursery school chose to withdraw the day program from MAEP.
For many years the school was affiliated, in part, with Santa Clara Adult Education (SCAE). Due to budget cuts in the spring of 2009 the school is now on its own as a non-profit, non-discriminatory nursery school licensed by the State Department of Health and functioning under its rules and standards.
You can visit the National Institute for Play for information about how play and learning are related by clicking here.
Updated 2013-12-6 KJB
For questions about this web page, click here